Brethren & Mennonite Heritage Center
Open Wed-Sat 10am-5pm.
Tours of the Brethren & Mennonite Heritage Center are offered Wednesday through Saturday, 10 AM to 5 PM each day. Tours on Monday and Tuesday are given by appointment; please call 540-438-1275 to schedule. Each tour begins in the Welcome Center and can include:
– Shoemaker shop, from the late 1790s;
– Pre-Civil War log house;
– Civil War-era brick farmhouse, with washhouse and garden;
– Blacksmith shop;
– One room school house, from the early 1900s, later used as meetinghouse for a rural Mennonite congregation;
– Video overview, providing broad context for who Brethren and Mennonites are, their origins in Europe, and their place in the history of the Shenandoah Valley;
– Interpretive panels, providing supporting context for the beginnings of Brethren and Mennonites in Europe and their subsequent migration to America;
– and a tractor trailer used during revival meetings of the 1950s-80s.
Along the way, guests enjoy beautiful panoramic views of the Shenandoah Valley and the carefully preserved peaceful agrarian setting.
1921 Heritage Center Way, Harrisonburg, VA 22801